FOOD FOR THE SOUL: Quinoa, Sweet Potato & Pomegranate Salad
Quinoa, Sweet Potato & Pomegranate Salad
Recipe by CHEF STACEY DOUGAN
Ingredients: Serves 4-6
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch dice
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, cut into 1/2 inch dice (optional)
- 1 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 packed cups baby greens, such as arugul or mixed field greens (about 6 ounces)
Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the quinoa and toast over moderate heat, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add 3 cups of water, season with salt and bring to a boil.
Cover and simmer the quinoa for 15 minutes (or according to directions on the package). Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff the quinoa, spread it out on a baking sheet and refrigerate until chilled, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, on a baking sheet, toss the sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 25 minutes, stirring once, until golden and softened. Let cool.
In a large bowl, whisk the remaining 6 tablespoons of olive oil with the vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Add the quinoa, sweet potatoes, pomegranate seeds, apples, parsley, onion and greens and toss well. Serve immediately.