FOOD FOR THE SOUL: Vegan Black Bean Burgers
Vegan Black Bean Burgers
Recipe by CHEF STACEY DOUGAN
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup minced green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay®)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread, torn into small crumbs
- 3/4 cup unbleached flour, or as needed
Mash black beans in a bowl; add onion, garlic, and green bell pepper. Mix
Whisk cornstarch, water, chili powder, cumin, Old Bay, salt, and black pepper together in a separate small bowl. Stir cornstarch mixture into black bean mixture.
Mix whole-wheat bread into bean mixture. Stir flour, 1/4 cup at a time, into bean mixture until a sticky batter forms.
Spoon “burger-sized” mounds of batter onto the prepared baking sheet, about a 3/4-inch thickness per mound. Shape into burgers.
Bake in the preheated oven until cooked in the center and crisp in the outside, about 10 minutes on each side.
Top with caramelized onions, avocado, lettuce and tomato and enjoy!