FOOD FOR THE SOUL: Vegan Sweet Potato Chili
Vegan Sweet Potato Chili
Recipe by CHEF STACEY DOUGAN
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4-6)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 cup vegan protein “beef” crumbles (I like the Beyond Meat brand)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups drained and rinsed kidney beans
- Sea salt to taste
Heat 2 tablespoons cooking oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onion and garlic until slightly tender, about 3 minutes. Add sweet potatoes, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, and red pepper fl akes to onion mixture. Pour remaining 2 cups vegetable broth over sweet potato mixture.
Bring vegetable broth mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until sweet potatoes are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Stir tomatoes, vegan protein “beef” and kidney beans into sweet potato mixture. Add sea salt to taste and simmer over low heat until flavors have blended, about 45 minutes.
Add diced avocado, scallions or vegan sour cream for that extra kick!