FOOD FOR THE SOUL: Hearty Lentil Soup
Hearty Lentil Soup
Recipe by CHEF STACEY DOUGAN
I love this recipe because it’s different from most traditional lentil soups — and it’s easy. You can add a variety of fresh veggies to make it hearty and healthy!
- 1 carrot – diced small
- 1 onion – diced small
- l large leek – diced small
- 1 cup fresh sweet corn (you can use canned or frozen as well)
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups dry lentils
- 8 cups water or vegetable stock
- 4 garlic cloves – crushed
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt or Old Bay Seasoning (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Sauté onions, leek, and carrots in vegetable oil for approx. 2 minutes, then add corn and tomatoes and sauté on low heat for about 5 minutes.
Mix in lentils, then add the water or vegetable stock, garlic cloves, cayenne pepper and salt. Simmer on low heat 45 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally. Add balsamic vinegar toward the end of cooking time. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley. Serve warm.