Monday, November 18, 2019

Black Elected Officials: The Need For A Black Political Agenda

The Need For A Black Political Agenda BY LOUIE OVERSTREET My dear friend Ida Gaines and I have developed a five-point plan for a black political agenda. It could potentially bring about an improvement to our current plight: a lack of effectiveness of our political leaders and community.  Black politicians need to work with Hispanic […]

Community Speaks

April 16, 2019 by  
Filed under Community

What’s the next BIG thing you want to happen for Las Vegas’ Black community?

MOVING THE NEEDLE: Acceptance on the road to harmony

April 16, 2019 by  
Filed under Community

Acceptance on the road to harmony BY DR. TIFFANY TYLER April marks International Heritage Month. In the wake of the New Zealand mosque attack and recent Clark County student arrests surrounding racially-charged social media posts, I want to highlight how International Heritage Month can be opportunity to discuss and amplify acceptance. While much can be […]

Black Elected Officials: It’s Time To Bring Home Some Bacon

April 16, 2019 by  
Filed under Community

Black Elected Officials: It’s Time To Bring Home Some Bacon BY LOUIE OVERSTREET Westside voters should demand that their elected city, county, and state officials bring home some bacon — like I remember Gates, Williams, and Arberry (with Neal leading the amen choir) used to do, shortly after I arrived in Las Vegas. The excuse […]

YOU! HAVE THE POWER | Dr. Ellen Brown

April 16, 2019 by  
Filed under Community

Who stole our power? BY DR. ELLEN BROWN What happens when someone “steals” your power? How does that make you feel? What actions can you take? Will you trust again? What does it mean? Power emanates from trust. In politics, trust comes from the people who believe in leaders enough to put our trust in […]

IN THE KNOW: Raider Family Giving Back

April 16, 2019 by  
Filed under Community

Raider Family Giving Back BY SHERYL THORNTON-BURNHAM The Raiders organization is second-to-none when it comes to philanthropy in their community. Those values hold strong with current and former players. It is something that is instilled in them when they proudly wear the Silver & Black. Family, camaraderie and love are not just words — together, […]

IN THE KNOW: Epitome of a Raider

March 19, 2019 by  
Filed under Community

Epitome of a Raider BY SHERYL THORNTON-BURNHAM “Football as a team game demands sacrifice and discipline. You’ve got to think of the guy playing next to you and try to help him. To do that you have to sacrifice.” — Jim Otto If you ever have the opportunity to be in the stands for a Raiders game, one of the most recognizable sounds you will hear is “Autumn […]

YOU! HAVE THE POWER | Dr. Ellen Brown

March 19, 2019 by  
Filed under Community

Women making history ‘first’ BY DR. ELLEN BROWN March is Women’s History Month, which became nationally recognized in 1987. April is Black Women’s History Month. Not there quite yet, but on its way to national recognition. So many women have toiled, cried, marched, sat and shouted for their voices to be heard; but not for themselves. It was always for their people, […]

ASK BIG MAMA – MARCH 2019

March 19, 2019 by  
Filed under Community

Remembering a spouse, mad at mom, and hopeful for the children Big Mama, I am 74 years of age and I recently lost my husband. I really don’t know what to do with myself because my world centered around my husband. How can I go on and live a happy life? Well, I understand. But, I would suggest you make a list […]

MOVING THE NEEDLE: Be the First!

March 19, 2019 by  
Filed under Community

Be the First! BY DR. TIFFANY TYLER March marks the celebration of Women’s History Month. As we commemorate the achievements of women, I am reminded of the many women who have contributed to the education of our community. This list includes stalwarts like Ruby Bridges, Mary McLeod Bethune, and Septima Poinsette Clark. As a trained educational psychologist, I am personally grateful for the […]