Thursday, June 30, 2022

YOU! HAVE THE POWER | Dr. Ellen Brown

April 8, 2022 by  
Filed under Community

Meet the Scholarship Doctor BY DR. ELLEN BROWN “Start earning scholarships at birth.” This is the message of The Scholarship Doctor. Doctors come in all forms and fashions — however, there is one thing in common: they have, in their chosen profession, attained, mastered, and documented a high level of knowledge and performance. This is […]

Letter from the Publishers

April 8, 2022 by  
Filed under Community

Happy Spring: April showers bringing us those May flowers It’s been a very rough time for the world, and we will all bloom if we keep praying and working toward positive outcomes and peace. Las Vegas Black Image celebrates the Honorable Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson — for her relentless perseverance and grace in a Senate confirmation […]

March 18, 2022 by  
Filed under Community

When am I Black enough? BY DR. ELLEN BROWN If she is confirmed, Ketanji Brown Jackson will be the first Afr ican-American woman to take a seat on the highest court in the land. She is an appellate-court judge with credentials that prove her pedigree, knowledge, and accomplishments. Judge Brown Jackson is not the first […]

Is This How The World Ends? I Sure Hope Not! | By Louie Overstreet

March 17, 2022 by  
Filed under Community

commit BY LOUIE OVERSTREET My life began a couple of months before America’s entrance into WWII, which ended before I started kindergarten. I witnessed the foolishness of MacArthur’s decision in Korea, the Cuban missile crisis, Westmoreland’s insistence on expanding the war in Viet Nam, two wars in Iraq, and the war in Afghanistan. However, at […]

March 17, 2022 by  
Filed under Community

Honoring our people, standing strong for opportunity in the Black community The world is experiencing difficult times right now. But as humanity always does, we are pushing forward — and this issue celebrates many in our state who are honest, strong, and impactful. We recently honored many of these individuals with our Las Vegas Black Image […]

February 21, 2022 by  
Filed under Community

Be informed! BY DR. ELLEN BROWN It is now 2022. This is a very important year for political choices and decisions. What is so much more important in 2022 than it was in 2021, 0r 2020? The complexity of the choices and decisions. We are facing a force of politically charged messages coming at us […]

February 10, 2022 by  
Filed under Community

Celebrating Black history now Black History Month is always a special time for this magazine, and we are blessed to once again celebrate our community. This year’s edition zeroes in on Black history now — Nevada icons who are making positive impacts in our community today. We are proud to showcase the many faces representing […]

Why Knowing Our History Is Important | By Louie Overstreet

February 10, 2022 by  
Filed under Community

commit BY LOUIE OVERSTREET For far too many of us, all we know about our history is that February is Black History Month and was started by Dr. Carter Woodson (1875-1950), Harvard Ph.D. graduate class of 1912. He is the father of black history and it started off as a weeklong celebration of “’Negro” history […]

Community Speaks – January 2022

January 22, 2022 by  
Filed under Community, Photos

How can we prevent violence in schools and keep our children focused on education?  

January 22, 2022 by  
Filed under Community

It’s a new dawn … and I’m feeling good BY DR. ELLEN BROWN Nina Simone recorded this song for her 1965 album, “I Put a Spell on You.” The focus of the song, written by Anthony Newley and Leslie Bricusse, was most decidedly political. You know what was going on at the time. The Black […]

« Previous PageNext Page »