Wednesday, October 23, 2019

YOU! HAVE THE POWER | Dr. Ellen Brown

February 12, 2019 by  
Filed under Community

Hey Washington: What’s going on? BY DR. ELLEN BROWN Nearly 50 years ago, Marvin Gaye recorded a song that expressed all that was worrying America: war, domestic unrest, unemployment, police brutality. It appeared that America had turned its back on its own people. That song was “What’s Going On?” The past is always a lesson […]

ASK BIG MAMA

February 12, 2019 by  
Filed under Community

Getting to the Magic Kingdom, making him put down the controller, and why you can’t force hubby into the church pews   Big Mama, I want to take my children to Disneyland this summer — but my finances are low, and I’m living paycheck to paycheck. What should I do? There are different ways you can possibly do this. I […]

MOVING THE NEEDLE: During Black History Month, remember with me

February 12, 2019 by  
Filed under Community

During Black History Month, remember with me BY DR. TIFFANY TYLER February commemorates Black History Month. As we celebrate the legacy and richness of African-American culture in the United States, I am reminded of the many juggernauts and institutions that have undergirded academic achievement and education. This month, I ask you to join me in […]

MOVING THE NEEDLE: Vision and resolve

January 27, 2019 by  
Filed under Community

Vision and resolve BY DR. TIFFANY TYLER As the new year begins, it is likely that a new resolve is in the air! As we consider what 2019 may hold, I hope we will be resolute about our engagement in education! Our commitment to improving student outcomes and investing in youth will require us to get informed, get engaged and advocate. One […]

YOU! HAVE THE POWER | Dr. Ellen Brown

January 27, 2019 by  
Filed under Community

New dawn. New day. Feeling good? BY DR. ELLEN BROWN Nina Simone. Remember her music? Google her. Simone was a class act — a singing, playing, acting, civil rights activist with experiences that made her rage. She used her classical music training to tell the world the truth about life and liberty. Her recording of “Feeling Good” in 1965 (one of many […]

Black and Gold Transcends

January 27, 2019 by  
Filed under Community

Black and Gold Transcends BY CAPUCINE HOLMES Bonds between men are strong — and the strength of unity can truly make a difference in the community in which that bond is initiated. The brotherhood of the Black and Gold radiates in service and leadership in the communities of Las Vegas. It all began when the Alpha Phi Alpha Las Vegas Chapter was established on October 31, 1964, when William “Bob” Bailey played […]

ASK BIG MAMA

January 27, 2019 by  
Filed under Community

How to handle a midlife career challenge, know when you’re in love, and make a change for once in your life Big Mama, I recently lost my job. I am in my early forties and not sure what to do now. What should I do? Take a piece of paper and write down 10 things that people admire about you. […]

IN THE KNOW: Raiders are more than a team — they’re a nation

January 27, 2019 by  
Filed under Community

Raiders are more than a team — they’re a nation BY SHERYL THORNTON-BURNHAM Unless you have lived in a city with a strong sports culture, it can be hard to grasp what having “your” team means. Growing up in Los Angeles, the fortunes of the Dodgers, Lakers, Clippers, Rams, and Raiders had significant bearing on our way of life. The win-loss records for storied franchises known by their colors […]

Sacrificing American Values

January 27, 2019 by  
Filed under Community

Sacrificing American Values BY LOUIE OVERSTREET Whether on the altar of expediency or the fire pit of convenience, the aspirational virgin values that have sustained America for well over 200 years are being sacrificed at a rate that exceeds college girls losing their virginity at a Greek fraternity toga party on a Saturday night. Trump’s altar slab of intolerance is supported by the pillars of hate, division, […]

MOVING THE NEEDLE: At the halfway point, assessing our progress in Las Vegas education

December 18, 2018 by  
Filed under Community

At the halfway point, assessing our progress in Las Vegas education BY DR. TIFFANY TYLER December marks a special time: the halfway point in the school calendar. It is a great time to reflect — and I encourage everyone in Las Vegas to consider all we have accomplished as a community and to check in on our intentions. We can be […]