FOOD FOR THE SOUL: Vegan Roasted Mashed Potatoes
Vegan Roasted Mashed Potatoes
These mashed potatoes are so creamy, they will melt in your mouth!
Recipe by CHEF STACEY DOUGAN
Ingredients: Serves 4-6
- 1 bulb fresh garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 lbs. potatoes (preferably yukon gold), peeled
- and cut into cubes
- ¾ cup plain soy milk, warm
- 1 heaping tablespoon non-dairy mayonnaise
- (Vegenaise is the best)
- 1 heaping tablespoon non dairy sour cream
- (Vegan Gourmet is the best)
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance Soy Margarine,
- Olive oil (regular) or vegetable oil
- Sea salt and white pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons chives, minced
Preheat oven to 400 °F. Slice off the top of the garlic head, coat with olive or vegetable oil, and wrap in foil. Bake for approx 35-40 minutes or until cloves are soft. Remove garlic cloves from oven and allow to cool. Meanwhile, put the potatoes in a large pot, cover them with water, add 1 teaspoon of sea salt and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain the potatoes, saving about 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid for use in the mashed potatoes. The remaining cooking liquid can be used in soups or sauces as the base of a vegetable stock.
Transfer the drained potatoes to a mixer (or return to the large pot if using a hand mixer or potato masher).
Using your fingers, squeeze the cloves of garlic from their skins, and place them in a small bowl. Using a fork, mash the cloves of garlic to form a paste. Add the mashed garlic, soy milk, non-dairy mayonnaise, non dairy sour cream, soy margarine, nutritional yeast, sea salt and white pepper. Whip or mash the potatoes until you get the desired consistency. Add a little of the reserved potato cooking liquid, if needed, to achieve a creamy consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Transfer the mashed potatoes to a large bowl, sprinkle with the snipped chives before serving.